Press Release - International event on 2 and 3 February at IGNOU, New Delhi
Vasudev kutumbkam - signifies that the world is a one big family. This is also the theme adopted by the Government of India in its G 20 presidency year. Looking into the present day climate conditions, depleting resources, growing social imbalance among others; there is an urgent need to raise concerns for immediate action by all of us; both individually and collectively. As per a report, the Person's with Disabilities roughly account for ten percent of India's population. A truly Inclusive society will only be possible if and if only when we all work towards the inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in all developmental schemes.
About organisers and event:
Vision Divyang Foundation, National Centre for Disability Studies (IGNOU), Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences, (Delhi University), Sanskriti University in association with the Rehabilitation Council of India have come together to organise an International Conference on “Significance of Counseling & its Resources for SDGs” at the Convention Centre, Indira Gandhi National Open University, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi on 2nd February and 3rd February 2023 from 10 am to 5 pm.
Keeping in mind the UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) No. 4 of Quality Education; it is pertinent to work together for the inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in all our efforts , schemes and policies. Counselling has played a major role in the empowerment of PwDs and is a very important catalyst for creating an Inclusive society. The idea is to share and work towards the different resources required by Counsellors for their overall empowerment so that they could further facilitate and work towards the welfare of Persons with Disabilities in a comprehensive manner.
Shri Priyank kanoongo, Chairperson National Centre for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), Government of India, Shri Rajesh Aggarwal, Secretary, DEPWD MSJE Government of India, Prof. Nageshwar Rao Vice Chancellor IGNOU, Dr. Sachin Gupta Chancellor Sanskriti University, CBSE officials, ILO officials, International Speakers, representatives from over 200 NGOs have consented to grace the occasion. Shri Mukesh G Gupta and Dr. Kusum Aanchal Gupta from Vision Divyang Foundation and Dr. S K. Prasad from NCDS IGNOU have left no stone unturned to make this event truly meaningful.
Projects to be launched:
The event will see the launch of several projects inclusiy the launch of the
1. "Inclusive Counsellors & Rehabilitation Association" at the all India level; to cater to the needs and interests of the Persons with Disabilities primarily.
2. A compilation of "Benefits & Schemes, Concessions for Divyangjan" second edition shall also be released on the occassion.
3. SHEJ Disability Research Rehabilitation Journal is also being launched for the benefit of all stakeholders in the field.
4. The event will also mark the launch of a One day collaborative programme between Bhaskaracharya College of Delhi University and Vision Divyang Foundation for spreading awareness about the RPWD Act 2016.
5. Event will also see awards being given to Individuals and Institutions who have been working for the SDGs at the National and International level.
In general, we may feel that we need to work for the future. Whereas, in context of Persons with Disabilities, it is pertinent to take immediate steps for improving their lives -even today. Each day they suffer and are discriminated against and each day is a challenge for them . The world will be fully worthy the day when our brothers and sisters with Disabilities despite their conditions are able to live a full life with dignity, self-respect have equal rights & opportunities and enjoy equal status in society with Persons without disabilities.